Before life kicked me off the writing wagon in January, I was making good progress with volume 2. I had 113,000 words down – success! Later on I realized that a good junk of that might end up in volume 3. I also realized that I’d have rewrite a large portion because while the plot was exactly as I wanted, the characters had gotten away from me; their interactions and such. They weren’t who I wanted them to be – not Rukh or Jessira or anyone from volume 1 but new characters. I have to alter these new characters so events in volume 3 have more emotional resonance.
Well, now I’m back to writing, and I thought I’d ease myself into it by editing what I’ve already written. It was quite a relief to find that what I’d already written for volume 2 wasn’t crap, and only needed minor changes. But small changes make for a much better book. I’ve gotten rid of extraneous words (I’m a horrible over-writer) and as a result, the narrative flow is much smoother.
My editing is motoring along, and I have now reached the parts where I’ll have to start rewriting scenes. It won’t be too bad (fingers crossed).